In a heartbreaking incident, a grade 1 student from Mandlethu Primary School in Tsakane, Brakpan, dies reportedly after consuming biscuits purchased from a nearby spaza shop.
According to Steve Mabona, the department’s spokesperson, the learner started experiencing health complications shortly before 11 am. Within a few minutes, the child began vomiting. The school promptly contacted emergency services and notified the learner’s parents.
“It is alleged that the learner began experiencing health complications in class just before the break at 11 am and started vomiting a few minutes later. The parents were contacted while emergency services were also alerted to provide necessary medical assistance,” explained department spokesperson Steve Mabona.
Student dies after eating biscuits
Regrettably, paramedics pronounced the learner deceased upon arrival at the school. The parents later confirmed that the child had consumed biscuits purchased from a spaza shop owned by a foreigner.
“Unfortunately, the learner was certified dead by paramedics upon arrival. According to information at our disposal, the parents confirmed that the child had eaten biscuits bought from a local spaza shop owned by foreign nationals,” the statement reads.
Meanwhile, on Wednesday, counsellors will be deployed to support both teachers and students. Gauteng education MEC Matome Chiloane urged parents to remain vigilant about the food items their children consume.
“We are deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident. We plead with parents to be vigilant concerning the edible goods that their children consume. We call upon law enforcement agencies and municipalities to be more stringent on compliance matters related to spaza shop products,” said Gauteng education MEC Matome Chiloane.
“We extend our sincerest condolences to the family and the school community at large.”