7de Laan Actor David Rees Seeks Financial Help After Being Hospitalised
David Rees, the actor who portrayed Chris Welman in the Afrikaans soapie 7de Laan, is fighting for his life in hospital. He had a heart attack and requires a double bypass surgery. However, he does not have medical aid and his family is struggling to pay for his treatment. A crowdfunding campaign has been set up to raise funds for his surgery and recovery.
Why David Rees needs a double bypass surgery
According to Sunday World, David Rees suffered a heart attack recently and was rushed to hospital. He was diagnosed with a severe blockage in two of his coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart. He needs a double bypass surgery, which is a procedure that creates new pathways for blood to flow around the blocked arteries.
A double bypass surgery is a major operation that involves opening the chest, stopping the heart, and using a heart-lung machine to pump blood around the body. The surgery can take several hours and has many risks and complications. The recovery period can also be long and challenging.
How you can donate to David Rees’s crowdfunding campaign
David Rees does not have medical aid, which means he has to pay for his surgery and recovery out of his own pocket. The cost of a double bypass surgery can range from R200 000 to R500 000, depending on the hospital and the surgeon. This does not include the cost of medication, tests, and follow-up care.
His family is unable to afford such a huge amount and is asking for help from the public. They have launched a crowdfunding campaign on BackaBuddy, a platform that allows people to raise money for various causes. The campaign aims to raise R500 000 for David Rees’s medical expenses.
The campaign page states: “We come to you with a plea from the depths of our hearts. Actor David Rees, known for his unforgettable portrayal of Chris Welman in 7de Laan, has recently suffered a devastating heart attack. This unforeseen event has left him in urgent need of a double bypass surgery, placing not only physical but also emotional and financial burdens upon him and his family.”
The page also appeals to the public to extend a helping hand and donate whatever they can. “Your financial support will alleviate the immense strain on David’s family, providing them with the breathing room they so desperately need.”
7de Laan shows support for David Rees and asks fans to donate
The soapie 7de Laan, which airs on SABC2, also showed its support for David Rees by sharing the campaign page on its Facebook account on Friday, 4 August. The soapie wished him a speedy recovery and asked its fans to read the page and donate if they wish to assist the actor.
7de Laan is one of the longest-running soapies in South Africa, having started in 2000. David Rees joined the cast in 2016 as Chris Welman, a wealthy businessman and philanthropist who is married to Mariaan Welman (Deirdre Wolhuter). He is also the father of Alexa Welman (Carina Nel) and Rickus Welman (André Lötter).
Fans send messages of support and prayers to David Rees
Many fans of 7de Laan and David Rees commented on the Facebook post and expressed their concern and sympathy for the actor. They also sent messages of support and prayers to him and his family. Here are some of their comments:
- Anthea Cronjé: “Wishing him a speedy recovery. Shame, I think the cancellation is terribly stressful on these actors. At the end of the day 7de Laan is our entertainment but their bread and butter. I pray the SABC renews this soapie. We love you guys.”
- Dean Kotze: “I would like to take this opportunity to encourage each and every single one of David’s fans, friends to please make a donation with regards to David’s medical expenses. No matter how big or small, every bit helps. We want to see David making a full recovery and getting back to doing what he loves. Let’s rally together and support his family during this tough time. Thank you.”
- Nokuthula Masinga: “Wishing you a speedy recovery and God won’t fail you his watching over you get well soon all the best.”
- Vincent Naicker: “We wish him everything of the best. I pray that the Almighty will grant him a full recovery.”
We also wish David Rees all the best and hope he recovers soon.
- Kelly Khumalo Lashes Out On Social Media To Netizens Rejoicing Over Her Pain
- Zandile Khumalo-Gumede Slams Netizens Calling For Her To Be Cancelled
- Kelly Khumalo Gets Death Threat Amid Backlash Over Senzo Meyiwa Case